The Office of the Provost is accepting nominations for the Rensselaer faculty awards listed below. The Faculty Committee on Honors will review the nominations and provide their recommendation to the Provost. Selected nominees will be submitted to the President for approval. Nomination forms are available at the links listed in the descriptions. All nominations must be submitted by Friday, March 1st 2024.
Class of 1951 Outstanding Teaching Development Grant
The Class of 1951 Outstanding Teaching Development Grant was established by members of the Class of 1951, at their 50th Class Reunion. The Development Grant recognizes Rensselaer faculty members for their outstanding accomplishments in education. The purpose of this award is to provide support for deserving faculty who wish to experiment and/or develop new and novel methods for improving student learning. The award consists of a grant to be used for the development of new and novel teaching techniques and methodologies. This award will consist of a monetary gift.
Criteria for selection:
- The nominee must be an untenured faculty member, at the time of nomination, but on the tenure track;
- The basis of the nomination must be associated with teaching done at the undergraduate level;
- The proposal can be based on new teaching developments or plans to extend and enhance the methodologies in use;
- The nominee must demonstrate a high quality of instruction, innovative pedagogy, the use of innovative educational materials and/or methods that facilitate the undergraduate learning experience;
- The nomination package should include a description of the innovations undertaken by the nominee, examples of the instructional materials, recommendations from other faculty members familiar with the nominee's teaching, and student recommendations. Particular attention will be paid to cases where sound assessment has been undertaken demonstrating positive gains in student learning.
Nominations should be submitted at: https://webforms.rpi.edu/class-1951-outstanding-teaching-award-nomination-form
Jerome Fischbach ’38 Faculty Travel Award
The Jerome Fischbach ’38 Faculty Travel Award provides an opportunity for one member of the Rensselaer faculty to participate in an international meeting as a representative of Rensselaer. Any member of the faculty who has been actively associated with Rensselaer for 20 years or more is eligible for the award, which the donor states is “to express appreciation for the many contributions that Rensselaer’s faculty have made to the education and motivation of alumni and students.” Non-tenure-track and tenure-track/tenured faculty are encouraged to apply.
Nominations must be submitted at: https://webforms.rpi.edu/jerome-fischbach-38-faculty-travel-award
James M. Tien ‘66 Early Career Award and Grant for Faculty
The James M. Tien ‘66 Early Career Award and Grant for Faculty is given in recognition of scholarly activities. The nominee is expected to be productive in both teaching and research/scholarship and outstanding in one or both. The nominee must have been a faculty member at Rensselaer at least 3 years, with a maximum of 10 years of professional experience. Please consider nominating both non-tenure-track and tenure-track/tenured faculty.
Nominations must be submitted at: https://webforms.rpi.edu/james-m-tien-66-early-career-award-faculty
William H. Wiley 1866 Distinguished Faculty Award
The William H. Wiley 1866 Distinguished Faculty Award honors those who have won the respect of the faculty through excellence in some or all of the following areas:
- Outstanding teacher
- Productive research
- Service to Rensselaer
- Contributions to local, regional and national professional organizations
- Community involvement
The nominee must have been at Rensselaer for at least 7 years. Please consider nominating both non-tenure-track and tenure-track/tenured faculty.
Nominations must be submitted at: https://webforms.rpi.edu/william-h-wiley-1866-distinguished-faculty-award-nomination-form
Please note that the nomination form for the 2024 Board of Trustees Outstanding Teacher Award will be sent out separately, you will be receiving that as soon as possible.