Course Syllabus Process
Course syllabi must be completed and published two weeks after the first day of classes for the term. AEFIS will automatically publish all syllabi 3 weeks after the first day of classes for the term. Once courses are published, students will be able to review the syllabus in the AEFIS interface. In addition, the public URL that is available will display all syllabus contents. The URL for the syllabus in AEFIS can be copied and shared in any tool (LMS, email, or websites).
Course Syllabi will be in a Faculty Pending status initially which means faculty can go in and create or apply changes for the current terms syllabus. Course or section learning outcomes must be entered when in the Faculty Pending status and before the course syllabus is Published. As mentioned above, syllabi should be published two weeks after the first day of classes. *Note: Once the course syllabus is published, faculty can still edit items in their course syllabus with the exception of learning outcomes.
Syllabus Compliance - Administrators
Running the Course Section Objectives Audit Report
The information below is for Department Administrators that are looking to verify if course syllabi are in compliance. When looking at compliance for the syllabi in departments, ensure that there are either course learning outcomes or section learning outcomes defined. Learning outcomes at the course level or section level must be defined before a faculty member publishes their syllabus. To check on this compliance, run the Course Section Objectives Audit Report. Below is a link to a video tutorial on how to run the Course Section Objectives report:
- If the outcomes have not been defined and the syllabus is in Faculty Pending status, administrators can reach out to the instructor and let them know they need to add the learning outcomes before they publish their syllabus.
- If the outcomes have not been defined and the syllabus is in Published status, contact the AEFIS Rensselaer Support Team to see if it can be possible to open up the course again to allow the course learning outcomes to be entered for the current term. Otherwise, it may need to wait until the next term.
Important Information: To verify what courses have not been published for the current term, view the Course Sections widget from the AEFIS Dashboard. For the current term listed, click the Faculty Pending link or the number above. A list of courses display that have not yet been published.
Accessing/Viewing a Course Syllabus as an Administrator
Review the brief video tutorial below on how to access/view a course syllabus as an administrator:
Syllabus Video Tutorials - Course Coordinators and Instructors
The video tutorials below are focused specifically on the Rensselaer template in AEFIS.
Course Coordinator Role
- AEFIS Syllabus: Adding and Publishing Syllabus Content as an Instructor (15:09)
- AEFIS Syllabus: Copying a Syllabus Function (3:24)
- AEFIS Syllabus: Adding the AEFIS Tool to Your Blackboard Course (4:24)
Below is a link to a series of general videos produced by AEFIS on creating course content for a syllabus. A description of each video is noted below along with what roles are for each video:
- How to Create a Syllabus Template (Institute Administrator Role) - this video is for the AEFIS Administrator in creating the institute wide syllabus. This video would not need to be reviewed by Course Coordinators or Instructors.
- How to Add CLOs & Syllabus Default Content to Courses (Course Coordinator Role) - this video is for Course Coordinators to review to understand how to add CLOs and Syllabus Default content to courses. This video would not need to be reviewed by instructors.
- How to Add Syllabus Content from the Instructor Role - this video shows the process for instructors to add syllabus content each term.
AEFIS Training Video Link for Described Videos Above: AEFIS Adding Content to Course Syllabus Training Videos